- Leads to an increase world food price rises.
- Causes the release of more greenhouse gases through land conversion and chemical fertiliser use than fossil fuels.
- Effects local air quality by burning vegetable oil which emits nitrogen oxides and small particulates linked to asthma, bronchitis and heart problems. (NB: In 2010, a similar sized biofuel power station was refused planning permission by London Borough of Ealing because it produced too much air pollution.)
- Leads to people being thrown off their land and suffering human rights abuses in the Global South
- Will mean heavier traffic in Wandsworth due to fuel tanker deliveries
What do Tooting residents think? Is this really what we want on our doorstep? You can express your opinion on the proposed biofuels plant to Wandsworth Council via planning application 2009/3575 or mail email@example.com for more info. DT